Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Special! 3/4,50,000 Special!


iNSPIRED

NITIN NEGI AND TSETEN NORDON CARGYAL, TWO OF THREE FROM SIKKIM WHO  CRACKED THE UPSC EXAM THIS YEAR, ON THEIR SUCCESS

Nitin Negi
Three young Sikkimese cracked the Union Public Service Commission exams this year. Nitin Negi, Tseten Nordon Cargyal and Tenzing Loden Lepcha have made it past the all India selection process which had around 4.5 lakh applicants this year. The three Sikkimese have found place in the 910 who were finally selected and are now waiting for their service and cadre allocation, which will take place in July.
Tseten Nordon Cargyal
Over the years, the state has seen many successfully clear the UPSC exams but three in a year makes for quite a success story. With its beginnings set during the British Raj, the historical significance and import adds to the glory of being part of the civil services. The plethora of opportunities that free economy has opened up is yet to diminish the number of aspirants or the prestige associated with the civil services. A job with the UPSC offers respect, security, a comfortable pay-check, the opportunity to serve the public and more importantly the power to bring about real change.
There are three stages in the examination, starting with the Prelims or Preliminary Examination. Candidates who make it through the Prelims then sit for the Main Examination (Written) who are then further shortlisted for the Personality Test or Interview which is the final test of the candidate’s mettle. After successfully clearing the examination the candidates are then allotted cadres based on their ranking in the merit list. The high rankers are allotted the Indian Administrative Service [IAS], Indian Foreign Service [IFS] or the Indian Police Service [IPS]. Others get into Group A or Group B services which include the Indian Revenue Service [IRS], Indian Audit and Accounts Service, and so on, based on their rankings.
A chosen candidate is sent for training. After training he or she is sent as a probationary officer serving under the district magistrate or in government schools, secretariats, and other postings which involve on the field experience. The positional hierarchy is as follows: Under Secretary; Director; Joint Secretary; Additional Secretary; Secretary; Cabinet Secretary.
In the districts the highest position belongs to the district magistrate and the deputy commissioner is in charge at the divisional stratum. Based on seniority, an officer may be chosen to represent the country at international bodies like the WHO, UNHCR, etc.
As the three from Sikkim who got through the all India civil services exams this year await allocation of their respective cadres, NOW!, got in touch with two of them to know what the whole experience has been like and to get some words of encouragement and advice for others from the state interested in a career in civil services. 

How does it feel to have cracked the UPSC exams?
NITIN: Cracking the UPSC civil services exams feels really good! Last year I had reached the interview stage but could not make it to the final list and it did feel bad when I missed out then. It took quite a lot of effort, patience and luck to achieve it. Though my ranking is not so good to get into an All-India Service, I would like to try on improving my rank by reappearing.
TSETEN: It is a gamut of emotions...happy, relieved, vindicated but above all BLESSED!

How did you prepare for it? Coaching classes, number of study hours, the choice of subjects and so on...
NITIN: I took coaching for optionals i.e. Public Administration and Geography in Delhi. General Studies I prepared on my own.  The subjects I chose were basically because of my interest in those subjects. A few months ahead of the examinations I would put in at least 6-8 hours of studies which increased gradually with exams nearing.
TSETEN: I attended coaching for my optional subject, Psychology, as it is quite a technical subject and I had no background in it.  Public administration is a very general subject which can be mastered by going through standard books and being aware of what is going on in the country in terms of administration.
I did not have any fixed number of study hours but I would just like to dispel the notion that this exam needs 15 hours of study everyday!! That’s impossible and a highly exaggerated figure... more than quantity its the quality that matters.
I worked with weekly targets rather than the number of study hours.

What were the most difficult times for you during the preparation and the exam? How did you deal with them?
NITIN: At times it was really hard to keep the motivation going, to put in the effort and hours for the exam. However, family, friends and well-wishers were always around encouraging. Also the civil services exam demands lots of patience and perseverance which I developed over the years with my trials with earlier attempts.
TSETEN: The nature of the exam is such that it takes a whole year... starting from prelims in May, mains in October and the interview in April next year. Firstly, it was a constant struggle to keep ourselves motivated and not get distracted. It IS a general tendency to slack after one stage and begin studies seriously for the next stage. 
Secondly, the doubt of making it or not? Having a close knit circle of friends preparing for the same exam and supportive family members helped me stay on track.

What made you take on UPSC exams considering it is almost seen as ‘impossible’ by most here in Sikkim? What was your motivation?
NITIN: Over the past couple of years we have consistently had people from Sikkim cracking the exams which has been a very encouraging sign. While, not having many from Sikkim should be a challenge not only for me but for every aspirant from Sikkim to prove that it is possible to compete and excel at this level for people from Sikkim too and be a part of the civil services, however the disadvantage of it is we have none or very few to seek for guidance when we are starting with the preparations.
My strongest influence and inspiration has been my father, who recently retired from the Indian Police Service. And my late mother was always a source of constant motivation, she was in the state government service. Their struggles and achievements have always been inspiring. At the same time, civil services provides one of the best platforms to serve the people and the country.
We in Sikkim have also been really fortunate to have had some such civil servants serving and leading with example, their contribution and dedication in serving the people and the state have been inspiring.
TSETEN: I was influenced by my father, who is in the Indian Information Service, an allied service under the civil services. The nature of the job wherein life changing policies are made, the social prestige and the challenges the service provides in changing lives of many people, particularly the poor and downtrodden....motivated me. I was optimistic that it was not impossible to crack the exam, given the determination and hard work.

What was the reaction of friends, family, even acquaintances when they first came to know that you plan to sit for these exams?
NITIN: I have always had encouraging and positive reactions from family and friends. In fact my parents were greatly determined to see me achieve my goal of joining the civil services. It is really necessary to have positive vibes around you when you are appearing for such an examination which demands a lot of effort and patience.
TSETEN: My family and friends were supportive and encouraging.

Having been through it all, what advice or suggestions do you have for those in Sikkim who aspire or are preparing for the civil services?
NITIN: My advice to aspirants from Sikkim would be to be very sincere with their efforts, remain focussed and to be patient. I would also like to suggest future aspirants that having a back up plan as far as jobs or studies are concerned when they plan to sit for the UPSC Civil Services examination is desirable, though I myself had no such back-up plan when I began with my preparations. However for the past one year I had been working on other options too along with the civil services exams, with me getting through some banking exams like the IBPS exam and State Bank of Patiala PO and also having secured a seat for MBA in Rural Management in the Institute for Rural Management Anand (IRMA). So I had a few other options in case I would not have got through this year.
TSETEN: My advice to the aspirants would be....believe in yourself, don’t give up because when you give up you never know how close you were to success. If you are determined then nothing is impossible!


Finally, what is life like post the exams?
NITIN: Having my name on the final list of selected candidates was a dream come true! It is a really happy, proud and satisfying feeling. As I have already mentioned my rank is not good enough to get me into an All-India Service so I would like to try getting into it by reappearing and improving my rankings however as of now I am looking forward to joining the service which I would be allotted. I would like to thank all my family, friends, teachers and well-wishers for their support, encouragement and 'positive vibes'. I would like to specially thank Mr. AK Chand (IPS) Sir for his guidance in my preparation during the past one year.
TSETEN: I had always imagined this moment to be grand and out of the world but frankly, not much has changed. Other than the fact that I now have a very good job... life is still the same!


Tseten suggests...
GENERAL STUDIES
1. Magazines like Chronicle, Yojna, Science Reporter
2. History NCERT books, class 11 and 12
3. WIZARD geography 
4. Laxmikanth’s Indian Polity 
5. Wikipedia
6. Newspapers like The Hindu and Indian Express
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
1. New Horizons by Mohit Bhattacharya
2. Public Administration by Fadia and Fadia
3. Indian Administration by Fadia and Fadia
4. 2nd ARC Reports of Veerappa Moily Committee
5. M.M. Punchi Commission Reports on Centre State Relations
6. IIPA journals
PSYCHOLOGY
1. Robert Baron’s Book on Psychology
2. NCERT Class 11 and 12
3. Any reliable coaching notes
3. Wikipedia 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to both of them. I'm appearing for IAS Exam and being enrolled in http://www.wiziq.com/courses/upsc-ias-civil-services-preparation was looking for such informative post. Thanks for the post. It clear my doubt regarding ias exam.

    ReplyDelete

Readers are invited to comment on, criticise, run down, even appreciate if they like something in this blog. Comments carrying abusive/ indecorous language and personal attacks, except when against the people working on this blog, will be deleted. It will be exciting for all to enjoy some earnest debates on this blog...